Wednesday, February 17, 2010

We interrupt this broadcast

Cracked has an article up today implying that somewhere down the line iPods will have unskippable commercials in them.

#$%&.

I understand ads on television. They need to pay for those shows somehow. Writers and directors need money too. Reality TV came along and got rid of the need for writers, and I still hate all reality TV because I turn on a television to watch monsters get the crap kicked out of them, not to learn that what molehill some spoiled brat is making a mountain out of today.

Hrm, ignoring the uncomfortable meta-irony in the last sentence and moving right along: ads on the internet I also understand. Websites are in the business of making money, and they should get paid somehow for putting up interesting content (read: pr0n). Now, I sure as hell don't want to have to pay to access Cracked, which is where I get all my non-political news from. I mean, I pay indirectly for my internets; I'm sure that's included in the room and board fees my college charges. I don't want to have to pay to access each and every website, but I understand that the people who run them need to make a living. So, ads in the sidebars I understand.

Now let's talk about video ads with sound that you cannot turn off. These are popping up more and more on the lyric and tab sites I get my guitar knowledge from, and it's only a matter of time until other sites have them. People hate that stuff. People got so fed up with TV ads that they got TIVOs and DVR thingys so they could skip the commercials. The Internet is a land of very angry people, which you can easily prove by going to any video of Megadeth's "Mechanix" on YouTube and typing "Four Horsemen is better" in the comments. Some of these angry people are nerds. Some of these nerds have the know-how to make a virus that kills websites that run unskippable videos with unmutable sound. What I'm saying is that it will all burn, sooner or later.

(Spelling "mistakes" in this post: 11.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post-Craig review: From Russia With Love

One of the rules of this project is that I'm not allowed to start writing one review until I've finished the previous one. An except...