Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cigarette tax

60% of voters would approve a $1 increase in the tax on cigs.

Now, I don't want the government to raise the tax on something just cuz they think it's unhealthy. God knows I live on ice cream. My hyper metabolism never stopped. I'm still waiting for the day I'll suddenly wake up fat.

And now for the "but" that you've been waiting for: this, in this one case alone, is an excellent idea. The government needs the money, and better yet, some people will actually quit. And as someone who has to breathe secondhand smoke all over campus, charging them an extra buck is perfectly fine by me.

Of course, the government being the government, they'll always take a good idea too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post-Craig review: From Russia With Love

One of the rules of this project is that I'm not allowed to start writing one review until I've finished the previous one. An except...